We are looking for a Systems Engineer to become part of our growing team of passionate people who work to achieve our mission. If you are as excited as we are about creating positive change, then have a look at our vacancy below.
About your Role
The Fairphone Software Team is looking for an experienced Systems Engineer who wants to dig into the Android ecosystem. Your role is to improve and maintain the quality of the Fairphone operating system and integrate it with the hardware of our devices. You will become a key member of the technical team and will perform in-depth analysis of reported issues to determine their impact and possible solutions. You will also be responsible for implementing solutions and features, and then validating their effectiveness.
- You feel a strong and intrinsic connection with Fairphone’s vision, mission and values.
- You take initiative and see opportunities where others see issues, and apply them via constructive, creative thinking.
- You are flexible and love the work environment of a start-up/scale-up company that is fast paced and determined by change.
- You are a people person and enjoy collaborating with people from different levels of seniority, cultures and backgrounds.
- You are self-motivated and have a positive attitude.
- You are passionate about improving the quality of our software. A small fix delivered to many people has a big impact.
- You want to make a difference and you are joining the Fairphone software development team to help make our Android flavour more sustainable.
- You have good knowledge of, and experience in, open source development methodologies.
- You are solution-minded, capable of working within time constraints, and work well independently.
- You care about privacy and security, and have experience implementing security features on embedded platforms.
- You are excited to learn techniques you do not master yet, and share with your colleagues what you already master.
- You (are willing to) live in the Netherlands and have the right to work within the EU.
- Developing additional functionalities for Fairphone’s devices. This includes designing, implementing, testing, and maintaining those additions.
- Integrating the Android operating system on new devices.
- Maintaining the Android operating system on existing Android devices.
- Providing clarity on (user-)reported software and hardware issues. This includes reproducing problems, analysing their impact, and documenting your in-depth analysis to share your observations with your colleagues.
- Writing software fixes for given problems and developing comprehensive tests to validate the proposed fixes and to ensure integrity of the overall Android system.
- Engaging with the community to get your fixes validated.
Your Skills & Experiences
- You have a degree in electrical engineering, computer engineering, computer science or similar, or have equivalent experience in one or more of these fields.
- You are a programmer and are comfortable with at least C/C++ and Java. You know how to design, test, and implement functional requirements.
- You have experience with Linux kernel configuration and maintenance.
- You understand hardware bring-up and the boot sequence of embedded devices (ARM architecture preferred).
- You have some experience in debugging devices and software, such as the Linux kernel. You know how to read a bug report, analyse the affected software, and share your analysis.
- You have general knowledge about the Android framework and won’t shy away from adapting the Android hardware abstraction to our devices.
- You are able to read and understand hardware and software specifications. You can make sense of most sections of a datasheet and can use that information to integrate and debug device drivers.
- You are familiar with basic scripting, process automation, and code versioning. You like automating everything and are always on the lookout for a better way to do things.
- You are familiar with GNU/Linux operating systems.
- You are able to use standard lab tools and test equipment.
- You excel in spoken and written English. Most of us are not native English speakers, but that’s the primary language we use internally, as well as with our teams and partners worldwide.
- Knowledge about mobile networking and wireless communication is a definite plus.